1. Move your cheese: By Mandeep Singh
2. The Immortals of Meluha: By Amish Tripathi
3. Tell A Thousand lies: By Rasana Atreya
4. Military Pensions: By Major Navdeep Singh
Yes! You are thinking right. This is the list of authors who chose to adopt a different way to publish their books, over the traditional one. Do you also want to be a part of this list? Then, the following words are meant for you.
The traditional practice of publishing a book Consists of two options:
- One- To have an agent who assists you from contacting a big publisher to finally make your book published.
- Two- To directly contact the publisher whose logo you want on your book.
It seems quite easier to follow this approach, right? Then what made hundreds of authors select a difficult path – which is Self Publishing a Book? To understand this, you need to scroll down.
Why You Should Self Publish a Book
Self Publishing a Book is beneficial on following grounds:
By selecting the Self Publishing Process, you can get a privilege to not be wholly dependent on a publication house to get your book launched. The rights of deciding how to publish, when to publish, and where to publish remain with you.
No-Risk of Rejection
As you don’t waive the right of selection to the publisher, there will be no fear of rejection.
Elimination of Mediator
You won’t be in need to have an agent to assist you in self publishing. So, the cost will also be cut down.
Rise in Revenue
If you opt to go with a publisher, they will have a cut from your royalty. If you have an agent, this cut will rise. But, in the case of Self Publishing, these costs will be completely removed and you will get a higher amount of royalty in your hands.
Higher Self Esteem
As you are the owner of decision powers, your morals get boosted when you perform all the tasks of publishing on your own.
If you want your book to be included in a Self Publishing Success Story, first you need to know and follow a step-by-step Self Publication Process.
How To Self Publish a Book
Step 1: Pre-Writing Phase
Before going for full-fledged writing, some basic things need to be set up. They are – the basic idea or concept of the book, genre of the book, outline and rough draft of what you are going to write, etc. If your book is fiction, giving shape to the characters and story, and if you are writing a non-fiction book, then collecting the data and facts are your pre-writing tasks.
Step 2: Writing
Putting the findings of the prewriting phase into words and form the book is but obviously the core part of the whole process of how to self publish. Deciding title and subtitle is part of the writing phase itself.
Step 3: Editing
Avoiding this crucial stage will cost you much higher than the cost of hiring a professional editor. Editors work like spectacles that catch up with the literary mistakes that we cannot with our eyes. There may be some agonized features in your writing, which editors are experts in discovering.
Step 4: Proofreading
A proofreader polishes and gives a final touch to your book by removing typos, misspellings, grammatical errors, and other structural mistakes.
Step 5: Appearance of the Book
This is the stage where you decide how your book will look. This includes-
- Cover Page- An attractive display inspires the reader to open your book among many on the shelf. Title, Sub-title, Graphics, Image, etc should be arranged in a manner that the book cover gets printed in the reader’s mind.
- Internal Formatting- This includes the layout, width, and size of the pages, and eye-friendly fonts to make the reading experience a pleasant one.
Step 6: Choosing Platform
The answer to ‘How to Self Publish’ is easiest ever with platforms like Amazon Kindle, Pothi, White falcon, Bluerose, Createspace & many more. KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) is the most popular where you can publish as an E-book or a print book or both.
Step 7: Promotion
What if your book is published but no one knows that you have done so? That’s why you need to form a strong strategy to market your book as there is not a publisher to do it for you.
Distributing some copies for free, making some quotes of the book viral, and engaging your readers on social media, interviews, uploading a short description of the book on your social media accounts are some of the techniques to promote.
Step 8: Post-Release Phase
Here, you still continue marketing in order to get more copies sold. Plus, now you start getting reviews & ratings from the readers and you can use them as a tool to achieve more sales.
How Much You Need to Invest for Self Publishing a Book
Self Publishing Costs involve the cost of-
- Hiring an editor
- Hiring a proofreader
- Getting the cover page designed
- Printing, if you want to publish a book in paperback format.
- Purchasing ISBN, Bar code & BISAC codes (click here to know what’s ISBN & BISAC)
- Promotional events
You can cut down one of the Self Publishing Costs i.e. the cost of printing, as some platforms give the facility of Print On Demand (POD).
Any method can never be full-proof. So, there also exists Self Publishing Pros & Cons.
- As it is pretty much easy to publish, the number of authors doing so is increasing. Therefore, it’s really challenging for you to distinguish yourself and succeed.
- It is like a one-man army where you need to overcome all the barriers on your own.
- You are solely responsible for whatever the results are.
Now, as you know How to Self Publish a Book along with Self Publishing Pros & Cons, it’s the time to awaken the author in you. It gives you a chance to make your own Self Publishing Success Story & make your name bigger than a publisher.
So what are you waiting for? Just sit in the corner, and kick start your writing career.